Our students are encouraged to offer volunteer service work to our community as a means of living their Christian vocation of charity.
While the WCU Service Learning Center provides many good opportunities for students to serve in the community each semester, our ministry strives to provide additional opportunities for students to practice the corporal works of mercy and fulfill Christ’s command to love our neighbor.
Some of the regular, ongoing community service opportunities we provide are through The Community Table and the Adopt-a-Highway program.
The Community Table is a local non-profit that provides free hot meals to those in need four days a week. It also operates a food pantry. We volunteer as a ministry on Tuesday afternoons from 4-6 to assist with their dinner service. Students serve meals, bus tables, wash dishes, and help out in a variety of other ways. This is also a wonderful opportunity to see the faces of those we serve, learn their names, and hear their stories. Students wishing to volunteer with us meet at Catholic Campus Ministry at 3:30 PM on Tuesdays to ride together.
We also participate in the Adopt-a-Highway roadside clean up program. We have adopted the road in front of our Student Center, and schedule approximately two roadside clean up days per semester, to help keep our little corner of God’s creation clean and beautiful.
In addition to these ongoing service opportunities, our students actively seek out other ways we can help our community. In the past we have worked with agencies including the Smoky Mountain Pregnancy Care Center, Habitat for Humanity, and Project FIRE with the Department on Aging.
Service Opportunities – Spring 2023
- Saturday, Jan 28: Project Fire Wood Splitting
- Gather at 4:30 PM at CCM to carpool to the Mineral Springs Wood Lot. We will work to split wood to deliver to Jackson County families in need for winter fuel from 5-8 PM. A cookout dinner will be provided to volunteers.
- Sunday, Feb 4: Adopt-a-Highway Roadside Cleanup
- 10:00 AM at CCM
- Starting Tuesday, Mar 14: Community Table Volunteer Service
- Meet at CCM by 3:30 PM every Tuesday to ride with us to The Community Table to assist with their dinner service from 4-6 PM. Volunteers are asked to please fill out this form (only need to do once).
- Saturday, Apr 1: CCM Spring Cleaning
- Show a little love for our local campus ministry community by helping clean our campus ministry building inside and out starting at 10:00 AM.
- Saturday, Apr 15: Tuck River Cleanup
- Saturday, Apr 22: Adopt-a-Highway Roadside Cleanup
- 10:00 AM at CCM